A brief story about hunting down the issue that caused SIP packets to show out of order in a call logging system.
I've been dealing with a service recently that, at least for a while longer, needs to log a serious amount of data. We are talking hundreds of thousands of lines every hour. The challenge was getting systemd to keep more than a days worth of data at this rate.
New year, new (sysadmin) me, or something like that. Step one was to fix a failing backup jobs on my Synology NAS. As usual, things escalated.
Every couple of years I rebuild my main development VPS for some reason or another. Months ago I realised that I had gradually worked my way up the DigitalOcean spec list but was now using a fraction of the resources. I held off rebuilding too soon though as I was relying on the IP address assigned for access to a particular work network. However, now that situation is resolved with something far less brittle it's time to get on with it.
As part of an ongoing experiment with kubernetes and lots of WordPress instances I wanted to set up a site that talked to an Amazon RDS MySQL database. The unknown part was how to do this over SSL using the WordPress docker image...